Avant-garde/Neo-avant-garde [electronic resource] / edited by Dietrich Scheunemann.
- Amsterdam ; New York, N.Y. : Rodopi, 2005.
- Avant garde critical studies ; 17.
Avant Garde critical studies ; 17
1 online resource (347 p.)
- Avant-garde (Aesthetics).
Arts, Modern -- 20th century.
Arts, Modern -- 21st century.
- Electronic books.
- This collection of critical essays explores new approaches to the study of avant-garde literature and art, film and architecture. It offers a theoretical framework that avoids narrowly defined notions of the avant-garde. It takes into account the diversity of artistic aims and directions of the various avant-garde movements and encourages a wide and open exploration of the multifaceted and often contradictory nature of the great variety of avant-gardist innovations. Individual essays concentrate on cubist collage and dadaist photomontage, on abstract painting by members of the Dutch group De Stijl , on verbal chemistry and dadaist poetry and on body art from futurism to surrealism. In addition, the collection wishes to open up the discussion of the avant-garde to a thorough investigation of neo-avant-garde activities in the 1950's and 1960's. For decades the appreciation of neo-avant-garde art and literature, film and architecture suffered from a general and all-inclusive rebuke. This volume is designed to contribute to a breakthrough towards a more competent and more precise investigation of this research field. Contributions include a discussion of Warhol’s multiples as well as Duchamp’s editioned ready-mades, forms of concrete and digital poetry as well as the architectural “Non-Plan”. The main body of the volume is based on presentations and discussions of a three-day research seminar held at the University of Edinburgh in September 2002. The research group formed around the Avant-Garde Project at Edinburgh will continue with its efforts to elaborate a new theory of the avant-garde in the coming years.
- Preliminary Material / Dietrich Scheunemann
Preface / Dietrich Scheunemann
From Collage to the Multiple. On the Genealogy of Avant-Garde and Neo-Avant-Garde / DIETRICH SCHEUNEMANN
Wilhelm Worringer and the Historical Avant-Garde / RHYS W. WILLIAMS
On the Historiographic Distinction between Historical and Neo-Avant-Garde / HUBERT VAN DEN BERG
Abstraction, Sublation and the Avant-Garde: The Case of De Stijl / MICHAEL WHITE
Sameness and Difference: Duchamp’s Editioned Ready-mades and the Neo-Avant-Garde / DAVID HOPKINS
Paint it Black: Ad Reinhardt’s Paradoxical Avant-Gardism / BEN HIGHMORE
Verbal Chemistry and Concrete Poetry / KEITH ASPLEY
How the Letters Learnt to Dance: On Language Dissection in Dadaist, Concrete and Digital Poetry / ANNA KATHARINA SCHAFFNER
American Language Poetry and the Definition of the Avant-Garde / JACOB EDMOND
From Futurism to Neo-Futurism: Continuities and New Departures in Twentieth-Century Avant-Garde Performance / GÜNTER BERGHAUS
Actor or Puppet: The Body in the Theatres of the Avant-Garde / OLGA TAXIDOU
Fragmentation of the Body in Spanish Surrealism / UTA FELTEN
The Surface of Illusion: Avant-Garde Apperception and Antecedence in Structural/Materialist Film / DAVID MACRAE
What Avant-Garde? / GÉRARD LEBLANC
The Limits of “Non-Plan”: Architecture and the Avant-Garde / RICHARD WILLIAMS
Montage in the Arts: A Reassessment / JENNIFER VALCKE
Means and Metaphors of Change: Technology and the Danish Avant-Garde of the 1960's / TANIA ØRUM
Literature under the Impact of Film: On Dutch Author-Critics of the Avant-Garde and Neo-Avant-Garde / KLAUS BEEKMAN
List of Illustrations / Dietrich Scheunemann
Index / Dietrich Scheunemann.
- Contributions mostly based on papers previously presented at a conference held in Edinburgh in Sept. 2002.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Scheunemann, Dietrich.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|