The despoliation of Egypt in pre-rabbinic, rabbinic and patristic traditions / by Joel Stevens Allen.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2008.
- Vigiliae Christianae, Supplements 92.
Supplements to Vigiliae Christianae, 0920-623X ; v. 92
1 online resource (313 p.)
- Exodus, The.
Jews -- History -- To 1200 B.C.
Jews -- History -- Historiography. -- To 1200 B.C.
Egypt -- Civilization -- To 332 B.C.
Egypt -- History -- To 332 B.C.
Bible. Exodus, XI-XII. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. -- History.
Bible. Old Testament. -- History of contemporary events.
- Electronic books.
- This work examines the role played by the biblical motif of the despoliation of Egypt in the understanding Gentiles had of Jews, and how Jews defended themselves, their heroes and their God in the face of anti-Jewish slander. It also examines the manner in which Christians learned from their rabbinic counterparts how to defend Moses and his God against the gnostic challenge. Beginning with Philo and based on haggadic additions, the embarrassment of the episode was 'healed' through allegory and became a critically important biblical justification for the Christian appropriation of the 'Egyptian treasures' of their Greco-Roman cultural heritage. This work describes how Christians borrowed exegetical traditions from rabbis not only to defend their sacred texts against gnostic attacks but to justify their interest in and appropriation of non-Christian philosophy in their theological understandings.
- Preliminary Material / J.S. Allen
Introduction: The despoliation of Egypt in pre-rabbinic, rabbinic and patristic traditions / J.S. Allen
The Septuagint / J.S. Allen
The book of Jubilees / J.S. Allen
Artapanus / J.S. Allen
Ezekiel the tragedian / J.S. Allen
The Book of Wisdom / J.S. Allen
Philo’s life of Moses / J.S. Allen
Philo’s who is the heir? / J.S. Allen
Josephus / J.S. Allen
Excursus: The social background of the ‘Fair Wage’ interpretation / J.S. Allen
Midrashic pondering the plunder / J.S. Allen
Irenaeus / J.S. Allen
Tertullian / J.S. Allen
Origen / J.S. Allen
St. Augustine / J.S. Allen
The despoliation: Other Patristic texts / J.S. Allen
Conclusions and ramifications / J.S. Allen
Bibliography / J.S. Allen
Index / J.S. Allen.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 281-298) and indexes.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004167452.i-305 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|