Genesis, Isaiah, and Psalms : a festschrift to honour Professor John Emerton for his eightieth birthday / edited by Katharine J. Dell, Graham Davies, Yee Von Koh.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2010.
- Vetus Testamentum, Supplements 135.
Supplements to Vetus Testamentum, 0083-5889 ; v. 135
Brill ebook titles
1 online resource (283 p.)
- Bible. O.T. Genesis -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Bible. O.T. Isaiah -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Bible. O.T. Psalms -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Electronic books.
- Genesis, Isaiah and Psalms are three key texts in the Hebrew Bible and represent the lifelong interests of Professor John Emerton, Emeritus Regius Professor of Hebrew in the University of Cambridge, for whom this volume is written on the occasion of his eightieth birthday. The contributors have all enjoyed academic relationships with John over the years and represent a truly international group. The contributions include comparison of biblical texts with ancient Near Eastern counterparts and evaluation of them in the light of archaeology. They include intertextual work on a literary level, and traditional literary-historical approaches to texts. Many move beyond the Hebrew Bible itself to consider other texts and versions or to draw out interpretations of texts by scholars ancient and modern - and even by novelists. The result is a refreshing group of articles that indicate the broad range of approaches that characterize the discipline of Old Testament study in the present day.
- Preliminary Material / K. Dell , G. Davies and Y. Von Koh
The Story Of Paradise In The Light Of Mesopotamian Culture And Literature / Arie Van Der Kooij
Nimrod’s Cities: An Item From The Rolling Corpus / Terry Fenton
Power Or Inheritance: A Constructive Comparison Of Genesis 16 And Genesis 21 / Ina Willi-Plein
The Nabataean “God Of The Fathers” / John F. Healey
The Transition From Genesis To Exodus / Graham Davies
Novelists As Interpreters Of Genesis / Bertil Albrektson
Isaiah As A Prophet To Samaria And His Memoirs / Menahem Haran
“Take A Large Writing Tablet And Write On It”: Isaiah – A Writing Prophet? / Alan Millard
The Suffering Servant Of Deutero-Isaiah: Jeremiah Revisited / Katharine J. Dell
God And The Gods: Pagan Deities And Religious Concepts In The Old Greek Of Isaiah / Joachim Schaper
Frants Buhl As An Old Testament Scholar: The Isaiah Commentary In Danish / Knud Jeppesen
Editorial Arrangement In Book IV Of The Psalter / Anthony Gelston
G. H. Wilson’s Theories On The Organization Of The Masoretic Psalter / Yee Von Koh
Psalm 93: An Historical And Comparative Survey Of Its Jewish Interpretations / Stefan C. Reif
Gregory Of Nyssa: The Superscriptions Of The Psalms / Patrick D. Miller
Wellhausen On The Psalms / Rudolf Smend
Index Of Biblical References / K. Dell , G. Davies and Y. Von Koh
Index Of Authors / K. Dell , G. Davies and Y. Von Koh.
- Description based upon print version of record.
"Bibliography of the works of John Adney Emerton, 1996-2008": pages [xi]-xiv.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Emerton, John Adney.
Dell, Katharine J. (Katharine Julia), 1961-
Davies, Graham I.
Koh, Y. V. (Yee-Von)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004182318.i-261 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|