Martha from the margins [electronic resource] : the authority of Martha in early Christian tradition / by Allie M. Ernst.
- Other Title:
- Authority of Martha in early Christian tradition
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2009.
- Supplements to Vigiliae Christianae ; v. 98.
Supplements to Vigiliae Christianae, 0920-623X ; v. 98
1 online resource (392 p.)
- Women in Christianity -- History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
Apocryphal books (New Testament) -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Electronic books.
- In the popular imagination Martha has become synonymous with the harried housewife, fretting over excessive preparations. The Martha known to early Christians is far removed from this stereotype. Martha was better known for her role in the story of the raising of Lazarus and as apostle and witness of the resurrection. This book gathers and assesses the early traditions about Martha in text, liturgy and iconography. It shows that the significance of Martha has been seriously underestimated and recovers an important and widespread tradition of Martha as apostle and authority figure for early Christians. The analysis of Martha traditions with attention to issues of gender and authority render this book an important contribution to studies on women in early Christianity.
- Preliminary Materials / A.M. Ernst
Chapter One. Retrieving Martha From The Margins / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Two. A Second Peter? Martha In The Gospel Of John / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Three. A Different Tomb, A Different Story: The Epistula Apostolorum / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Four. Apostola Apostolorum: Hippolytus On The Song Of Songs / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Five. Singing A New Song: Martha In Liturgy And Hymnody / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Six. Picturing The Myrrhophore / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Seven. Martha, Diakonia And The Gospel Of Luke / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Eight. A Eucharistic Ministry For Martha: The Apostolic Church Order And The Acts Of Philip / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Nine. Martha As Authority Figure For Early Christian Groups / A.M. Ernst
Chapter Ten. Gathering The Strands / A.M. Ernst
Appendix The. Easter Narrative In The Epistula Apostolorum / A.M. Ernst
Bibliography / A.M. Ernst
Index Of Modern Authors / A.M. Ernst
Index Of Ancient Sources / A.M. Ernst
Index Of Subjects / A.M. Ernst.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -340) and indexes.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004174900.i-372 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|