Greco-Roman culture and the New Testament : studies commemorating the centennial of the Pontifical Biblical Institute / edited by David E. Aune, Frederick E. Brenk.
- Other Title:
- Graeco-Roman culture and the New Testament
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Novum Testamentum, Supplements 143.
Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 0167-9732 ; v. 143
1 online resource (232 pages)
- Christianity and culture -- History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
Christian literature, Early -- History and criticism.
Bible. N.T.. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Pontificio Istituto biblico.
- Electronic books.
- Since a number of scholars at the Pontifical Biblical Institute have made important contributions to the study of the New Testament in the context of the Greco-Roman world, it seemed appropriate to devote this volume commemorating the centennial of the Biblicum (1909-2009) to that subject. This book contains nine essays by scholars from Europe, the United States, Australia and Jerusalem, each exploring the ways in which aspects of the New Testament can be illuminated by recourse to Greco-Roman texts.
- Preliminary Material
Introduction / Frederick E. Brenk
The Role of Rhetorical Elaboration in the Formation of Mark’s Passion Narrative (Mark 14:43–16:8): An Enquiry / Justin Taylor S.M.
Logos and Pneuma in the Fourth Gospel / Troels Engberg-Pedersen
The Enigma of Imperial Cultic Activities and Paul in Corinth / Bruce W. Winter
Pauline Paraenesis in Romans 12 and Greek Gnomic Wisdom / Dieter Zeller
Most Beautiful and Divine: Graeco-Romans (especially Plutarch), and Paul, on Love and Marriage / Frederick E. Brenk
Clement of Alexandria on Woman and Marriage in the Light of the New Testament Household Codes / Gretchen J. Reydams-Schils
Traveling Up and Away: Journeys to the Upper and Outer Regions of the World / Adela Yarbro Collins
The Polyvalent Imagery of Rev 3:20 in the Light of Greco-Egyptian Divination Texts / David E. Aune
The Sibyl and the Apocalypses: Generic Relationships in Hellenistic Judaism and Early Christianity / John J. Collins
Index of Subjects
Index of Modern Authors
Index of New Testament Passages.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Pontificio Istituto biblico.
Aune, David Edward.
Brenk, Frederick E.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004226548 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|