Plutarch in the religious and philosophical discourse of late antiquity / edited by Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta, Israel Muñoz Gallarte.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Studies in Platonism, Neoplatonism, and the Platonic Tradition 14.
Ancient Mediterranean and medieval texts and contexts ; v. 14
1 online resource (320 p.)
- Philosophy, Ancient -- Congresses.
Plutarch -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- The works of Plutarch, notably his Moralia , provide us with exceptional evidence to reconstruct the spiritual and intellectual atmosphere of the first centuries CE. As a priest of Apollo at Delphi, Plutarch was a first range witness of ancient religious experience; as a Middle Platonist, he was also actively involved in the developments of the philosophical school. Besides, he also provided a more detached point of view both regarding numerous religious practices and currents that were permeating the building of ancient pagan religion and the philosophical views of other schools. His combining the insider and the sensitive observer’s perspectives make Plutarch a crucial starting point for the understanding of the religious and philosophical discourse of Late Antiquity.
- Preliminary Material / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta and Israel Muñoz Gallarte
Introduction: Plutarch at the Crossroads of Religion and Philosophy / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta
Plutarch on the Sleeping Soul and the Waking Intellect and Aristotle’s Double Entelechy Concept / Abraham P. Bos
The Doctrine of the Passions: Plutarch, Posidonius and Galen / Francesco Becchi
The Adventitious Motion of the Soul (Plu., De Stoic. repugn. 23, 1045B–F) and the Controversy between Aristo of Chios and the Middle Academy / Raúl Caballero
Plutarch and “Pagan Monotheism” / Frederick E. Brenk
Socrates and Alcibiades: A Notorious σχάυδαλου in the Later Platonist Tradition / Geert Roskam
Salt in the Holy Water: Plutarch’s Quaestiones Naturales in Michael Psellus’ De omnifaria doctrina / Michiel Meeusen
Iacchus in Plutarch / Ana Isabel Jiménez San Cristóbal
Plutarch’s Idea of God in the Religious and Philosophical Context of Late Antiquity / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta
Plutarch as Apollo’s Priest at Delphi / Angelo Casanova
Plutarch’s Attitude towards Astral Biology / Aurelio Pérez Jiménez
“Cicalata sul fascino volgarmente detto jettatura”: Plutarch, Quaestio convivalis 5.7 / Paola Volpe Cacciatore
The Eleusinian Mysteries and Political Timing in the Life of Alcibiades / Delfim F. Leão
Mυτηριώδης θεολοΥία: Plutarch's fr. 157 Sandbach between Cultual Traditions and Philosophical Models / Rosario Scannapieco
A Non-Fideistic Interpretation of \'pistis\' in Plutarch's Writings: The Harmony Between \'pistis\' and Knowledge / George van Kooten
The Colors of the Souls / Israel Muñoz Gallarte
Bibliography / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta and Israel Muñoz Gallarte
Index locorum / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta and Israel Muñoz Gallarte
Index rerum / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta and Israel Muñoz Gallarte
Index nominum / Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta and Israel Muñoz Gallarte.
- Title from PDF title page (viewed on Dec. 3, 2012).
Papers from the XI Congress of the International Plutarch Society held June 2010.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Roig Lanzillotta, Lautaro.
Munoz Gallarte, Israel.
International Plutarch Society.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004236851 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|