The struggle for female suffrage in Europe : voting to become citizens / edited by Blanca Rodriguez-Ruiz, Ruth Rubio-Marin.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- International Studies in Sociology and Social Anthropology 122.
International studies in sociology and social anthropology ; 122
1 online resource (516 p.)
- Women -- Suffrage -- History -- European Union countries.
Women -- Political activity -- History -- European Union countries.
Women and democracy -- European Union countries -- History.
Citizenship -- European Union countries -- History.
- Electronic books.
- Whilst scholarship on women’s suffrage usually focuses on a few emblematic countries, The Struggle for Female Suffrage in Europe casts a comparative look at the articulation of women’s suffrage rights in the countries that now make up the political-unity-in-the-making we call the European Union. The book uncovers the dynamics that were at play in the recognition of male and female suffrage rights and in the definition of male and female citizenship in modern Europe. It allows readers to identify differences and commonalities in the histories of women’s disenfranchisement and sheds light on the role suffrage has played in the construction of female citizenship in European countries. It provides the background against which a new European paradigm of parity democracy is gradually asserting itself.
- Preliminary Material / Blanca Rodríguez-Ruiz and Ruth Rubio-Marín
Introduction: Transition to Modernity, the Conquest of Female Sufffrage and Women’s Citizenship / Blanca Rodríguez-Ruiz and Ruth Rubio-Marín
A Long Tradition of Equality: Women’s Sufffrage in Finland / Aura Korppi-Tommola
Democratisation of Denmark: The Inclusion of Women in Political Citizenship / Christina Fiig and Birte Siim
The Development of Women’s Rights in Lithuania: Striving for Political Equality / Toma Birmontiene and Virginija Jureniene
Winning Women’s Vote: Experience from Latvia / Aija Branta
Sufffrage and the Nation: Women’s Vote in Estonia / Helen Biin and Anneli Albi
Winning Women’s Vote in Germany / Ute Sacksofsky
Polish Women’s Fight for Sufffrage / Malgorzata Fuszara
Female Sufffrage in Luxembourg / Sonja Kmec
The Women’s Vote in The Netherlands: From the ‘Houseman’s Vote’ to Full Citizenship / Inge Bleijenbergh and Jet Bussemaker
Gaining the Vote in a World in Transition: Female Sufffrage in Austria / Birgitta Bader-Zaar
Mothers of the Nation: Women’s Vote in the Czech Republic / Dana Musilová
The Contexts of National and Gender Belonging: The History of Female Sufffrage in Slovakia / L’ubica Kobová
How Women Gained Sufffrage in Sweden: A Weave of Alliances / Lena Wängnerud
Divisions and Debates: The Irish Sufffrage Experience / Myrtle Hill
Female Sufffrage in Great Britain / Krista Cowman
Constructing Women’s Citizenship: The Conquest of Sufffrage and Women’s Political Rights in Spain / Ana Aguado
The Difficult Struggle for Women’s Political Rights in France / Sylvie Chaperon
Women’s Sufffrage in Bulgaria / Krassimira Daskalova
Female Sufffrage in Slovenia / Irena Selišnik
The Achievement of Female Sufffrage in Romania / Roxana Cheschebec
From the Struggle for Sufffrage to the Construction of a Fragile Gender Citizenship: Italy 1861–2009 / Susanna Mancini
Female Sufffrage in Malta / Ruth Farrugia
Caught Between Strategic Positions and Principles of Equality: Female Sufffrage in Belgium / Petra Meier
Development Def?ined by Paradoxes: Hungarian History and Female Sufffrage / Csilla Kollonay-Lehoczky
So Difficult to be Considered as Citizens: The History of Women’s Sufffrage in Greece, 1864–2001 / Demetra Samiou
Women’s Sufffrage in Cyprus / Kalliope Agapiou-Josephides
Winning Women’s Vote: Female Sufffrage in Portugal / Maria Lúcia Amaral and Teresa Anjinho
Index / Blanca Rodríguez-Ruiz and Ruth Rubio-Marín.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Rodriguez-Ruiz, Blanca.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004229914 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|