The postcolonial Orient : the politics of difference and the project of provincialising Europe / by Vasant Kaiwar.
- Leiden, Netherlands : Brill, 2014.
- Historical materialism book series ; Volume 68.
Historical Materialism Book Series, 1570-1522 ; Volum e68
1 online resource (435 p.)
- Orientalism -- Historiography.
Postcolonialism -- Asia -- Historiography.
Postcolonialism -- India -- Historiography.
Postcolonialism -- Study and teaching (Higher).
Difference (Philosophy) -- Political aspects.
World politics -- 1989-.
Asia -- Relations -- Europe.
Europe -- Relations -- India.
India -- Relations -- Europe.
Europe -- Relations -- Asia.
- Electronic books.
- In The Postcolonial Orient , Vasant Kaiwar presents a far-reaching analysis of the political, economic, and ideological cross-currents that have shaped and informed postcolonial studies preceding and following the 1989 moment of world history. The valences of the ‘post’ in postcolonialism are unfolded via some key historical-political postcolonial texts showing, inter alia, that they are replete with elements of Romantic Orientalism and the Oriental Renaissance. Kaiwar mobilises a critical body of classical and contemporary Marxism to demonstrate that far richer understandings of ‘Europe’ not to mention ‘colonialism’, ‘modernity’ and ‘difference’ are possible than with a postcolonialism captive to phenomenological-existentialism and post-structuralism, concluding that a narrative so enriched is indispensable for a transformative non-Eurocentric internationalism.
- Preliminary Material
2 Situating Postcolonial Studies
3 Colonialism, Modernity, Postcolonialism
4 Provincialising Europe or Exoticising India? Towards a Historical and Categorial Critique of Postcolonial Studies
5 Uses and Abuses of Marx
6 The Postcolonial Orient
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004270442 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|