Beyond the Middle Kingdom [electronic resource] : comparative perspectives on China's capitalist transformation / edited by Scott Kennedy.
- Other records:
- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 2011.
- Contemporary issues in Asia and the Pacific.
Contemporary issues in Asia and the Pacific
1 online resource (277 p.)
- Capitalism -- China.
China -- Economic policy.
China -- Economic conditions.
China -- Politics and government.
- Electronic books.
- This book breaks new ground by systematically examining China's capitalist transformation through several comparative lenses. The great majority of research on China to date has consisted of single-country studies. This is the result of the methodological demands of studying China and a sense of the country's distinctiveness due to its grand size and long history. The moniker Middle Kingdom, a direct translation of the Chinese-language word for China, is one of the most prominent symbols of the country's supposed uniqueness. Composed of contributions from leading specialists on China's political economy, this volume demonstrates the benefits of systematically comparing China with other countries, including France, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, India, Brazil, and South Africa. Doing so puts the People's Republic in a light not available through other approaches, and it provides a chance to consider political theories by including an important case too often left out of studies.
- Overcoming our Middle Kingdom complex : finding China's place in comparative political economy / Scott Kennedy
Variety within and without : the political economy of Chinese regulation / Margaret M. Pearson
Developmental dreams : policy and reality in China's economic reforms / Arthur R. Kroeber
Crossing the river by feeling for stones or carried across by the current? : the transformation of the Chinese automotive sector / Andrew Wedeman
Welfare policy pathways among uneven developers / Mark W. Frazier
Fragmented influence : business lobbying in China in comparative perspective / Scott Kennedy
Comparing China's capitalists : neither democratic nor exceptional / Kellee S. Tsai
When are banks sold to foreigners? : an examination of the politics of selling banks in Mexico, Korea, and China / Victor Shih
Placing China in comparison : an outsider's perspective / Gregory J. Kasza.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Kennedy, Scott, 1967-
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9780804777674 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|