Higher education in the UK and the US : converging university models in a global academic world? / edited by Sarah Pickard ; Bahram Bekhradnia [and twelve others], contributors.
- Leiden, Netherlands : Brill, 2014.
- Youth in a Globalizing World 1.
Youth in a Globalizing World, 2212-9383 ; Volume 1
1 online resource (296 p.)
- Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives -- Great Britain.
Higher education and state -- Great Britain.
Education, Higher -- Economic aspects -- Great Britain.
Education, Higher -- Social aspects -- Great Britain.
Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Higher Education in the UK and the US: Converging University Models in a Global Academic World? edited by Sarah Pickard addresses the key similarities and differences in higher education between the two countries over the last thirty years, in order to ascertain whether there exists a specific ‘Anglo-Saxon model’. This interdisciplinary book is divided into three thematic parts dealing with current fundamental issues in higher education within neoliberal Great Britain and the United States: economics and marketisation of higher education; access and admittance to universities; and the student experience of higher education. The contributors are all higher education specialists in diverse academic fields – sociology, political sciences, public policy studies, educational studies and history – from either side of the Atlantic. Contributors are: Bahram Bekhradnia, James Côté, Marie-Agnès Détourbe, John Halsey, Magali Julian, Kenneth O’Brien, Cristiana Olcese, Anna Mountford-Zimdars, Sarah Pickard, Chris Rust, Clare Saunders, Christine Soulas, and Steven Ward.
- Preliminary material / Sarah Pickard
Introduction / Sarah Pickard
Creating the Enterprising Student: The Moral Projects of Neoliberalism and Higher Education Reform in the UK and the US / Steven Ward
Education Markets in English and American Universities / John Halsey and Kenneth O’Brien
Higher Education in the United Kingdom under Tony Blair: An American Inspired Economic Issue / Magali Julian
The English Experiment in Market-Based Higher Education: Ideology and Reality Disconnected / Bahram Bekhradnia
Are Admissions Models for Undergraduate Study Converging Among Highly Selective Universities in England and the US? / Anna Mountford-Zimdars
Widening Participation in English Universities: Accessing Social Justice? / Sarah Pickard
Access and the Rise of Accountability in the Governance of Public Universities in the US / Christine Soulas
The Quality of the Student’s Learning Experience: A Strategic Dimension of British and American Higher Education Systems in the Early 21st Century / Marie-Agnès Détourbe
The Decline in Study Time in British and American Universities: Unravelling the Paradox in Two Knowledge Economies / James Côté
The Student Experience in the UK and the US: Two Converging Pictures of Decline? / Chris Rust
British Students in the Winter Protests: Still a New Social Movement? / Cristiana Olcese and Clare Saunders
Index / Sarah Pickard.
- Includes index.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Pickard, Sarah, editor.
Bekhradnia, Bahram, contributor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004262768 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|