Bank ownership and the effects of financial liberalization : evidence from India / Poonam Gupta, Kalpana Kochhar, and Sanjaya Panth.
- [Washington, District of Columbia] : International Monetary Fund, 2011. , ©2011
- IMF working paper ; WP/11/50.
IMF Working Paper ; WP/11/50
1 online resource (54 p.)
- Banks and banking -- Ownership -- India.
Finance -- India.
Credit -- India.
- Electronic books.
- Do financial sector reforms necessarily result in expansion of credit to the private sector? How does bank ownership affect the availability of credit to the private sector? Empirical evidence is somewhat mixed on these issues. We use the Indian experience with liberalization of the financial sector to inform this debate. Using bank-level data from 1991-2007, we ask whether public and private banks deployed resources freed up by reduced state preemption to increase credit to the private sector. We find that even after liberalization, public banks allocated a larger share of their assets to gov
- Cover Page; Title Page; Copyright Page; Contents; I. Introduction; II. Financial Sector Liberalization and Bank Ownership in India; A. Financial Liberalization in India; B. Ownership Structure in the Indian Banking Sector; C. Statutory Requirements on Cash and Liquidity and Allocation of Credit; III. Competition and Efficiency Indicators Post Liberalization; IV. Statutory Requirements and Allocation of Assets Post Liberalization; A. Data Sources; B. Cash Holdings and the Cash Reserve Requirements; C. Investment in Government Securities and the Statutory Liquidity Requirement
D. Credit to the Private Sector, SLR, and Fiscal DeficitE. More Robustness Tests; V. Explaining the Differential Behavior of the Public Banks; VI. Conclusion; A. Areas of Reform; B. Variables Definitions; C. Summary Statistics of the Variables; D. Banks and Ownership Details; Footnotes
- Description based upon print version of record.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed September 24, 2014).
- International Monetary Fund, publisher.
Kochhar, Kalpana, author.
Panth, Sanjaya, author.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|