Contemporary West African states / edited by Donal B. Cruise O'Brien, John Dunn, and Richard Rathbone. [electronic resource]
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- African studies series ; 65.
African studies series ; 65
African studies ; 65
1 online resource (viii, 227 p. ) ill. ;
- Africa, West -- Politics and government -- 1960-.
- The West African states have reached maturity. This new volume - appearing a decade after the successful West African States: Failure and Promise - provides up-to-date studies of nine states, including Chad, Burkina Faso and Cameroon, which were neglected in the earlier volume, and introduces contemporary theories of West African politics. The book reflects changes on the ground and also in academic debate, notably the remarkable retreat of dependency theory and Marxian analysis and the rise of free-market theorising by both governments and scholars. The volume also contains important observations on the political importance of religious fundamentalism in the region, and the growth of sub-national forms of political activity. The writers are well-known scholars in the field, and include contributors to the influential journal Politique Africaine. This will be a useful textbook for everyone interested in African politics, but it is also a provocative contribution to the debate on the nature of the state and political processes in Africa.
- Burkina Faso : between feeble state and total state : the swing continues / René Otayek
Cameroon / Jean-François Bayart
Chad : the narrow escape of an African state, 1965-1987 / Robert Buijtenhuijs
Côte d'Ivoire : analysing the crisis / Yves A. Fauré
Ghana : the political economy of personal rule / Richard Jeffries
Liberia / Christopher Clapham
Nigeria : power for profit : class, corporatism, and factionalism in the military / Shehu Othman
Senegal / Christian Coulon and Donal B. Cruise O'Brien
Sierra Leone : state consolidation, fragmentation and decay / Fred M. Hayward
Conclusion / John Dunn.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
- Cruise O'Brien, Donal B. (Donal Brian), editor.
Dunn, John, 1940- editor.
Rathbone, Richard, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|