Marriage and modernity [electronic resource] : family values in colonial Bengal / Rochona Majumdar.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2009.
- e-Duke books scholarly collection.
e-Duke books scholarly collection
1 online resource (357 p.)
- Arranged marriage -- India -- Bengal -- History -- 19th century.
Arranged marriage -- India -- Bengal -- History -- 20th century.
Marriage -- India -- Bengal -- History.
Families -- India -- Bengal -- History.
Marriage (Hindu law).
- Electronic books.
- This cultural history of the evolution of modern marriage practices in colonial Bengal shows that arranged marriage as it is practiced today is a modern practice from the colonial era.
- Looking for brides and grooms
Snehalata's death: questions of dowry
Marriage and distinction: new critiques of vulgarity
The not-quite bourgeois: the couple form and the joint family
A nineteenth-century debate: law versus rituals
Nationalizing the joint family: the Hindu code debate, 1955/56.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 25. Nov 2020)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9780822390800 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|