Negotiating Urban Conflicts : Interaction, Space and Control / Sergej Stoetzer, Silke Steets, Lars Meier, Martina Löw, Lars Frers, Sybille Frank, Helmuth Berking.
- 1. Aufl.
- Bielefeld : transcript-Verlag, 
- Materialitäten ; 1
1 online resource (308)
- Cities have always been arenas of social and symbolic conflict. As places of encounter between different classes, ethnic groups, and lifestyles, cities play the role of powerful integrators; yet on the other hand urban contexts are the ideal setting for marginalization and violence. The struggle over control of urban spaces is an ambivalent mode of sociation: while producing themselves, groups produce exclusive spaces and then, in turn, use the boundaries they have created to define themselves. This volume presents major urban conflicts and analyzes modes of negotiation against the theoretical background of postcolonialism.
Introduction: Negotiating Urban Conflicts
I. Politics of Space: The Modern, the Postmodern and the Postcolonial
Postcolonial Cities, Postcolonial Critiques / King, Anthony D.
Contested Places and the Politics of Space / Berking, Helmuth
The City as Assemblage. Diasporic Cultures, Postmodern Spaces, and Biopolitics / Venn, Couze
Remapping the Geopolitics of Terror: Uncanny Urban Spaces in Singapore / Law, Lisa
Cultural Homogenisation, Places of Memory, and the Loss of Secular Urban Space / Bhatti, Anil
II. Spatializing Identities
The Politics and Poetics of Religion: Hindu Processions and Urban Conflicts / Kong, Lily
Negotiating the City-Everyday Forms of Segregation in Middle Class Cairo / De Koning, Anouk
Negotiating Public Spaces: The Right to the Gendered City and the Right to Difference / Fenster, Tovi
On the Road to Being White: The Construction of Whiteness in the Everyday Life of Expatriate German High Flyers in Singapore and London / Meier, Lars
Prostitution-Power Relations between Space and Gender / Löw, Martina / Ruhne, Renate
III. Imageries of Cities
Between Refeudalization and New Cultural Politics: The 300th Anniversary of St. Petersburg / Trubina, Elena
Reflections on a Cartography of the Non-Visible. Urban Experience and the Internet / Ries, Marc
Picturing Urban Identities / Stoetzer, Sergej
Communist Heritage Tourism and its Local (Dis)Contents at Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin / Frank, Sybille
Earthquake Recovery and Historic Buildings: Investigating the Conflicts / Al-Nammari, Fatima
IV. Exclusion, Security and Surveillance
The Phenomenon of Exclusion / Bude, Heinz
Orbit Palace. Locations and Cultures of Redundant Time / Steets, Silke
Pacification by Design: An Ethnography of Normalization Techniques / Frers, Lars
Violence Prevention in a South African Township / Mathéy, Kosta
Homeland/Target: Cities and the "War on Terror" / Graham, Stephen
Terrorism and the Right to the Secure City: Safety vs. Security in Public Spaces / Marcuse, Peter
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 15. Jun 2019)
- Berking, Helmuth, editor.
Frank, Sybille, editor.
Frers, Lars, editor.
Löw, Martina, editor.
Meier, Lars, editor.
Steets, Silke, editor.
Stoetzer, Sergej, editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.14361/9783839404638 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|