Exploring American folk music [electronic resource] : ethnic, grassroots, and regional traditions in the United States / Kip Lornell.
- Other records:
- 3rd ed.
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, c2012.
- American made music series.
American made music series
1 online resource (409 p.)
- Folk music -- United States -- History and criticism.
Popular music -- United States -- History and criticism.
- Electronic books.
- Exploring American Folk Music: Ethnic, Regional & Vernacular Traditions in the United States reflects the fascinating diversity of regional and grassroots music in the United States. The book covers the diverse strains of American folk music--Latin, Native American, African, French-Canadian, British, and Cajun--and offers a chronology of the development of folk music in the United States. The book is divided into discrete chapters covering topics as seemingly disparate as sacred harp singing, conjunto music, the folk revival, blues, and ballad singing. It is among the few textbooks in American
- Cover; Contents; Exploring American Folk Music: A Preamble to the Third Edition; A Prelude to the Second Edition; Preface and Acknowledgments; 1. START HERE!; Introduction; The Roots of Twenty-first-Century Folk Music; Music in Our Daily Lives and in the Academy; Defining American Folk Music; Cultural Geography and Traditions; Folk Culture in the United States; Bred in the Bone; Listening to American Folk Music; Instruments; Accordion; Banjo; Dulcimer; Fiddle; Fife; Guitar; Harmonica; Mandolin; Mouth Bow; One-String; Quills; Washboard; Final Thoughts; 2. MASS MEDIA; Introduction
Minstrel and Medicine Shows Recording the Blues; Record Companies and Folk Music; Country Music over the Airwaves; Border Radio; The Ancestors of MTV and VH-1; Uncle Dave Macon and the Electronic Media; Final Thoughts; 3. FIELDWORK IN TWENTY-FIRST-CENTURY AMERICA; Musical Communities and Fieldwork; Accomplishing Fieldwork; Topic; Focus; Preparation; Questions; Communication; Interview; Ethics; Some Nuts and Bolts of Fieldwork; Final Thoughts; 4. ANGLO-AMERICAN SECULAR FOLK MUSIC; British Ballads; Broadsides; Native American Ballads; Singing Cowboys; Tin Pan Alley and Country Music Texts
Ernest Stoneman's Repertoire The Father of Bluegrass; Honky-Tonk; Western Swing; Final Thoughts; 5. ANGLO-AMERICAN SACRED MUSIC; Psalmody; Shape Notes; Camp Meetings; Shakers; Later Hymnody and Gospel Songs; Sanctified Styles; Southern Gospel Boogie; Final Thoughts; 6. AFRICAN AMERICAN RELIGIOUS FOLK MUSIC; The Great Awakening and Camp Meetings; Spirituals; Ring Shouts; Gospel; Pentecostal Singing and Guitar Evangelists; Preachers on Record; Gospel Quartets; Final Thoughts; 7. AFRICAN AMERICAN SECULAR FOLK MUSIC; Work Songs; String Bands; Fife and Drum Bands; Ragtime and Coon Songs; Ballads
Songsters and Rural Music Down-home Blues; Modern Blues; Final Thoughts; 8. ETHNIC AND NATIVE AMERICAN TRADITIONS; Jewish American: Klezmer; Native American; Music and Ceremony Today; Musical Characteristics; Instruments; Powwows; Hawaiian American; Franco-American; Cajun Country; Zydeco; Northeastern States; Scandinavian American; Ballads; Instrumental Music; Polka and More Polka!; Norwegian American Folk Music; Final Thoughts; 9. THE HISPANIC AMERICAN DIASPORA; The Southwest; Tex-Mex Music; Corridos; Mariachi; Native American Influences; Florida; New York City; Final Thoughts
10. THE FOLK REVIVALS Red Roots; The Mass Media and Popular Culture; Field Research; The 1960's Folk Revival; A British Invasion; The Blues Boom; Back to the Mountains; New Entrepreneurs and Frontiers; Final Thoughts; 11. THE FOLK ROOTS OF CONTEMPORARY POPULAR MUSIC; Black Codes from the Underground; Improvisation in Black Musical Culture; Rhythm and Blues; Rockabilly; Early Rock 'n' Roll and Rock; Motown and Soul; Hip-Hop and Rap; Country Music Today; Final Thoughts; 12. URBAN FOLK MUSIC; Introduction; Blues and Gospel in Chicago; San Antonio's Country and Conjunto Traditions; Washington, D.C.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lornell, Kip, 1953-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|