A companion to contemporary art since 1945 [electronic resource] / edited by Amelia Jones.
- Other records:
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., 2006.
- Blackwell companions in art history.
Blackwell companions in art history
1 online resource (648 p.)
- Art, Modern -- 20th century -- History.
Art, Modern -- 21st century -- History.
- Electronic books.
- A Companion to Contemporary Art is a major survey covering the major works and movements, the most important theoretical developments, and the historical, social, political, and aesthetic issues in contemporary art since 1945, primarily in the Euro-American context. Collects 27 original essays by expert scholars describing the current state of scholarship in art history and visual studies, and pointing to future directions in the field. Contains dual chronological and thematic coverage of the major themes in the art of our time: politics, culture wars, public spa
- Figures; Notes on Contributors; Series Editor's Preface; Acknowledgments; PART I Introduction; 1 Introduction: Writing Contemporary Art into History, a Paradox?; PART II Decades; 2 "America" and its Discontents: Art and Politics 1945-60; 3 The 1960s: A Decade Out-of-Bounds; 4 "I'm sort of sliding around in place . . . ummm . . .": Art in the 1970s; 5 Pictures and Positions in the 1980s; 6 1990-2005: In the Clutches of Time; PART III Aesthetics; 7 Form and Formless; 8 Re-Thinking the "Duchamp Effect"; 9 Regarding Beauty; PART IV Politics; 10 Avant-Garde: A Historiography of a Critical Concept
11 Facture for Change: US Activist Art since 195012 "The Senators Were Revolted": Homophobia and the Culture Wars; 13 Crowds and Connoisseurs: Art and the Public Sphere in America; PART V Identity/Subjectivity; 14 The Writerly Artist: Beautiful, Boring, and Blue; 15 Diaspora: Multiple Practices, Multiple Worldviews; 16 Power and Pleasure: Feminist Art Practice and Theory in the United States and Britain; 17 Queer Wallpaper; 18 Implications of Blackness in Contemporary Art; 19 The Paradoxical Bodies of Contemporary Art; PART VI Methods/Theories; 20 A Shadow of Marx
21 Poststructuralism and Contemporary Art, Past, Present, Future . . .22 "Fragments of Collapsing Space": Postcolonial Theory and Contemporary Art; 23 Visual Culture Studies: Questions of History, Theory, and Practice; PART VII Technology; 24 "That's All Folks": Contemporary Art and Popular Culture; 25 Image +Text: Reconsidering Photography in Contemporary Art; 26 Imagine There's No Image (It's Easy If You Try): Appropriation in the Age of Digital Reproduction; 27 "Life-like": Historicizing Process and Responsiveness in Digital Art; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Jones, Amelia.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|