Shocking the Conscience [electronic resource] : A Reporter's Account of the Civil Rights Movement / Simeon Booker with Carol McCabe Booker.
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, 2013.
1 online resource (347 p.)
- African American journalists -- Biography.
Journalists -- United States -- Biography.
Journalism -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Civil rights movements -- Press coverage -- United States.
Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century,
Booker, Simeon, 1918-
- Electronic books.
- Within a few years of its first issue in 1951, Jet, a pocket-size magazine, became the ""bible"" for news of the civil rights movement. It was said, only half-jokingly, ""If it wasn't in Jet, it didn't happen."" Writing for the magazine and its glossy, big sister Ebony, for fifty-three years, longer than any other journalist, Washington bureau chief Simeon Booker was on the front lines of virtually every major event of the revolution that transformed America. Rather than tracking the freedom struggle from the usually cited ignition points, Shocking the Conscience begins wi
- Cover; Contents; Introduction; 1. The Sleeping Giant; 2. "Time Is Running Out"; 3. The Rally Ends; The Killing Begins; 4. Born to Dream; 5. "Let Them See What I've Seen"; 6. The Trial; 7. "The Little Magazine That Could" Comes to Washington; 8. "A Communist under Every Bed"; 9. Ike's First Term; 10. The Battle of Little Rock; 11. Eisenhower Redux; 12. Baltimore, My Baltimore; 13. A Tale of Two Campaigns; 14. A New Day Dawning; 15. The Freedom Rides; 16. No Ordinary Football Game; 17. Camelot, The Final Act; 18. A Southern President; 19. "All the Way with LBJ"; 20. Fighting On
21. A Familiar Face22. The End of the Beginning; Acknowledgments; Notes; Selected Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 321-322) and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Booker, Carol McCabe, 1944-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|