Garlic capital of the world [electronic resource] : Gilroy, garlic, and the making of a festive foodscape / Pauline Adema.
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, c2009.
1 online resource (210 p.)
- Food habits -- California -- Gilroy.
Garlic -- Social aspects -- California -- Gilroy.
Folk festivals -- California -- Gilroy.
Gilroy (Calif.) -- Social life and customs.
- Electronic books.
- Adema scrutinises how Gilroy, California, successfully transformed a negative association with the pungent garlic bulb into a highly successful tourism and marketing campaign, and explores how local initiatives led to the iconisation of the humble product there. To understand Gilroy's success in transforming a local crop into a tourist draw, the book contrasts the development of this now-thriving festival with events surrounding the launch and demise of the PigFest in Coppell, Texas.
- Making a foodscape : Gilroy and the iconization of garlic
The festivalization of garlic : creating and celebrating community in Gilroy
From foreign to fad : garlic's twentieth-century transition
Garlic galore : festival inversion, subversion, and the enactment of labor relations
Place branding and selling place : creating and marketing identity capital
"This little piggy went to PigFest
" : the paradox of PigFest
Festive foodscapes : food symbolization and place making.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references (p. 173-190) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|