Transatlantic subjects [electronic resource] : ideas, institutions, and social experience in post-revolutionary British North America / edited by Nancy Christie.
- Montreal [Que.] : McGill-Queen's University Press, c2008.
- Canadian electronic library. Canadian publishers collection.
Canadian electronic library. Books collection.
1 online resource (492 p.)
- Canada -- Relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Relations -- Canada.
Canada -- History -- 1763-1867.
Canada -- Civilization -- British influences.
- Electronic books.
- Intro; Contents; Foreword; Acknowledgments; Introduction: Theorizing a Colonial Past: Canada as a Society of British Settlement; PART ONE: AGRARIAN PATRIOTS; PART TWO: PROVINCIAL BRITONS; PART THREE: A LABORATORY OF MODERNITY; Contributors; The Canadiens and British Institutions of Local Governance in Quebec from the Conquest to the Rebellions; "The Plague of Servants": Female Household Labour and the Making of Classes in Upper Canada; Revisiting Feudal Vestiges in Urban Quebec; How the Canadian Methodists Became British: Unity, Schism, and Transatlantic Identity, 1827-54
The Dividends of Empire: Church Establishments and Contested British Identities in the Canada's and the Maritimes, 1780-1850 Monitorial Schooling, "Common Christianity," and Politics: A Transatlantic Controversy; Scottish-Trained Medical Practitioners in British North America and Their Participation in a Transatlantic Culture of Enlightenment; The Malthusian Moment: British Travelers and the Vindication of Economic Liberalism in the Maritime Countryside; "Deserving of Favourable Consideration": Crown Land Agents, Surveyors, and Access to Crown Lands in Upper Canada
Popular Radicalism and the Theatrics of Rebellion: The Hybrid Discourse of Dissent in Upper Canada in the 1830's"The Original Idea Has Been Considerably Amplified": Culture, Authority, and the Emergence of a Liberal Social Order in the Central Canadian Mechanics' Institute Movement, 1828-60
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Christie, Nancy, 1958-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|