Critical issues in editing exploration texts : papers given at the twenty-eighth annual Conference on Editorial Problems, University of Toronto, 6-7 November 1992 / edited by Germaine Warkentin.
- Toronto, [Ontario] ; Buffalo, [New York] ; London, [England] : University of Toronto Press, 1995.
- Conference Name:
- Conference on Editorial Problems (28th : 1992 : University of Toronto)
1 online resource (167 p.)
- Discoveries in geography -- Sources -- Editing -- Congresses.
Travelers' writings, English -- Congresses.
Travel writing -- History -- Congresses.
Criticism, Textual -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- The papers in this collection deal with a cultural problem central to the study of the history of exploration: the editing and transmission of the texts in which explorers relate their experiences. The papers chart the transformation of the study of exploration writing from the genres of national epic and scientific reportage to the genre of cultural analysis. As well, they reflect ongoing changes in our ideas about editorial procedures, literary genres, and cultural appropriation.This volume begins with a paper by David Henige, who confronts the classic editorial problems associated with the writings of Christopher Columbus. Luciano Formisano, studying Amerigo Vespucci, illustrates the technical problems associated with transmission. David and Alison Quinn examine Richard Hakluyt’s Discourse on Western Planting (1584). I.S. MacLaren investigates the publication, in the nineteenth century, of field notes by Canadian artist Paul Kane. Helen Wallis’s paper looks at the institutionalization of ‘exploration writing’ in the activities of the great publication societies. Finally, in a paper that throws into question assumptions about textuality that would have seemed unassailable three decades ago, James Lockhart examines the textual editing of Nahuatl versions of the conquest of Meso-America.
Notes on Contributors
Tractable Texts: Modern Editing and the Columbian Writings
Editing Italian Sources for the History of Exploration
The Editing of Richard Hakluyt's "Discourse of Western Planting"
The Metamorphosis of Travellers into Authors: The Case of Paul Kane
The Great Publication Societies
A Double Tradition: Editing Book Twelve of the Florentine Codex
Members of the Conference
- Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed September 21, 2016).
- Warkentin, Germaine, editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442623576 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|