Race and hegemonic struggle in the United States : pop culture, politics, and protest / edited by Michael G. Lacy and Mary E. Triece.
- Other records:
- Guilford, Connecticut : Lyons Press, an imprint of Globe Pequot Press, 2008.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Press series in communication studies.
The Fairleigh Dickinson University Press Series in Communication Studies
1 online resource (243 p.)
- Hegemony -- Social aspects -- United States.
African Americans -- Politics and government.
Popular culture -- United States.
Politics and culture -- United States.
Communication -- Political aspects -- United States.
Protest movements -- United States.
Government, Resistance to -- United States.
United States -- Race relations.
United States -- Race relations -- Political aspects.
Gramsci, Antonio, 1891-1937 -- Political and social views.
- Electronic books.
- Race and Hegemonic Struggle in the United States: Pop Culture, Politics, and Protest is a collection of essays that draws on concepts developed by Antonio Gramsci to examine the imagining of race in popular culture productions, political discourses, and resistance rhetoric.
- Contents; Foreword; Acknowledgments; Introduction; I: Hegemony and Disruption in Film, Television, and Documentary; 1 Racial Shadows, Threat, Neoliberalism, and Trauma; 2 Bizarre Foods; 3 Remembering Radical Black Dissent; II: Change vs. the "Dead Weight" of Tradition in Politics; 4 The Mother Tongue as "Back Talk"; 5 At the Margins of the American Political Imagination; 6 The Birthers; III: "Pessimism of the Intelligence" and "Optimism of the Will"; 7 Embodying Unauthorized Immigrants; 8 Racing/Sexing the Rhetorical Situation; 9 The Black Public Intellectual of the Joshua Generation; Index
About the Contributors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Description based on print version record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lacey, Michael G., 1961-
Triece, Mary Eleanor, 1967- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|