A thousand miles of dreams : the journeys of two Chinese sisters / Sasha Su-Ling Welland.
- First edition.
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2007.
- Asian voices (Rowman and Littlefield, Inc.)
1 online resource (388 p.)
- Physicians -- United States -- Biography.
Authors, Chinese -- Biography.
Artists -- China -- Biography.
Immigrants -- United States -- Biography.
Chinese Americans -- Biography.
Sisters -- China -- Biography.
San Francisco (Calif.) -- Biography.
China -- Biography.
Ling, Shuhao, 1904-2006.
Ling, Shuhua, 1900-1990.
- Electronic books.
- A Thousand Miles of Dreams is an evocative and intimate biography of two Chinese sisters who took very different paths in their quest to be independent women. Ling Shuhao arrived in Cleveland in 1925 to study medicine in the middle of a U.S. crackdown on Chinese immigrant communities, and her effort to assimilate began. She became an American named Amy, while her sister Ling Shuhua burst onto the Beijing literary scene as a writer of short fiction. They were both Chinese ""modern girls"" who sought to forge their own way in an era of social revolution and followed trajectories unimaginable to
- A Thousand Miles Of Dreams ; Contents; List of Illustrations; Acknowledgments; Note; Prologue: Departure; Part I: Moving House; 1 Origins; 2 Ambition; 3 Disappointment; 4 Courtyards; 5 Mountains and Walls; Part II: Casting Off; 6 Lessons; 7 Mist; 8 Amid Ghosts; 9 Into the Streets; 10 Romance; 11 Gatherings; 12 Modern Medicine; 13 Crescent Moon; Part III: Seeking a Mooring; 14 Arrival; 15 Adrift; 16 Souvenirs; 17 The Entangling Net; 18 Rice Porridge; 19 War Letters; 20 An American Home; 21 Wandering; 22 The Chinese House; Epilogue: Return; Sources; References; Permissions; Index
About the Author
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|