Ridiculous critics : Augustan Mockery of critical judgment / edited by Philip Smallwood and Min Wild.
- Lanham, Maryland : Bucknell University Press, 2014.
1 online resource (267 p.)
- Criticism -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
English literature -- History and criticism -- Theory, etc.
- Electronic books.
- Ridiculous Critics offers an outline of eighteenth-century literary criticism that undermines its stuffy reputation. This history highlights the contempt, jocularity, irony, and buffoonery that also make up its critical spirit, with passages from critics, poets, novelists, and literary commentators celebrated and obscure.
- CONTENTS; ILLUSTRATIONS; PREFACE; ACKNOWLEDGMENTS; ABBREVIATIONS; Part I: LAUGHING WITH REASON; Part II: THE LANGUAGE AND APPEARANCE OF RIDICULE; Part III: LEGACIES OF RIDICULE; BIBLIOGRAPHY; INDEX; CONTRIBUTORS
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Smallwood, Philip, editor.
Wild, Min, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|