Historicism and the human sciences in Victorian Britain / edited by Mark Bevir (University of California, Berkeley).
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 
vi, 271 pages ; 24 cm
- Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Historiography.
Historicism -- History -- 19th century.
Social sciences -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901.
- "Historicism and the Human Sciences in Victorian Britain explores the rise and nature of historicist thinking about such varied topics as life, race, character, literature, language, economics, empire, and law. The contributors show that the Victorians typically understood life and society as developing historically in a way that made history central to their intellectual inquiries and their public culture. Although their historicist ideas drew on some Enlightenment themes, they drew at least as much on organic ideas and metaphors in ways that lent them a developmental character. This developmental historicism flourished alongside evolutionary motifs and romantic ideas of the self. The human sciences were approached through narratives, and often narratives of reason and progress. Life, individuals, society, government, and literature all unfolded gradually in accord with underlying principles, such as those of rationality, nationhood, and liberty. This book will appeal to those interested in Victorian Britain, historiography, and intellectual history"-- Provided by publisher.
- 1. Historicism and the human sciences in Victorian Britain / Mark Bevir
2. Life / Bernard Lightman
3. Race / Efram Sera-Shriar
4. Language / Marcus Tomalin
5. Literature / Ian Duncan
6. Moral character / Lauren Goodlad
7. History / Brian Young
8. Political economy / Fredrik Albritton Jonsson
9. Empire / Duncan Bell
10. International law / Jennifer Pitts.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Bevir, Mark, editor of compilation.
- 9781107166684 (hardback)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|