My mother's home, lagoon [electronic resource] / directed by Mehrdad Oskooee.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- New York, NY : Filmakers Library, 2001.
1 online resource (30 min.)
- Families -- Iran.
Women -- Iran -- Social conditions.
Women -- Iran.
- Documentary films.
- In Farsi with English subtitles.
- Like Kurosawa's Woman in the Dunes, 67-year-old Kobra battles the elements on a lagoon in Iran to eke out a living for herself and her 100-year-old invalid mother. Even on New Year's day she is out in her rowboat before dawn, dropping and hauling her nets for the modest catch. She must argue fiercely with the men in the marketplace for a fair price, and physically battle fishermen on the water who claim the territory where her nets are placed. In an unforgettable scene the men tear her nets and scuffle with her on the deck until she falls into the water. Mother and daughter live together in a weather- beaten cottage on the edge of the lagoon. Pictures of their deceased loved ones surround them. The Koran, the voice of the mullahs on the radio, and their love for one another sustain them. With simplicity and honesty, this documentary makes a universal statement of the harsh realities many women face, and the strength that sustains them.
- Originally released as DVD.
Title from resource description page (viewed May 24, 2011).
Documentary Film Festival, Amsterdam, 2000
Gold Medal, International Film Festival, Teheran, 1999
- Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|