Becoming an academy. Westlands [electronic resource].
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- [London] : Teachers TV/UK Department of Education, 2010.
- Becoming an academy ; 5
Becoming an academy ; 1
1 online resource (16 min.).
- Academies (British public schools).
- Instructional television programs.
Documentary television programs.
- This edition in English.
- An outstanding secondary school begins its transition to a new style academy, with staff and headteacher outlining the process and sharing their experiences of their first month as an academy. The Westlands Academy Trust officially opened on 1 September 2010. This video diary details the changes that went on and reveals how staff are easing into their new status. Headteacher Jon Whitcombe talks about the process of becoming an academy and the tight deadlines in confirming the change for the start of the school year. He explains the paperwork involved, the necessity of employing a great solicitor and his fears that bank errors would leave his staff unpaid. His staff also comment on how they feel the first month as an academy has gone, and the video also shows how the academy is working with a struggling feeder primary school.
An outstanding secondary school with its federated primary school, Westlands Academy Trust is enjoying the new freedoms and flexibility of becoming an academy. This video diary details the changes the school is going through, and reveals how staff are getting to grips with their new status with headteacher Jon Whitcombe talks about their work with the new primary school. The primary school is developing and to cement the relationships between the two schools, assistant headteacher, and now federation development manager, Claire Wood, has been working 50 per cent of her time at the primary. The Year 6 students talk about what they think about having numeracy and literacy classes at the high school and how they can see it is giving them the confidence to prepare for their transfer to secondary school. Jon explains that the process of becoming an academy has been an evolution, not a revolution, and the additional budget he is now receiving directly from the government has been.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Mar. 5, 2012).
- Alexander Street Press.
Brook Lapping Productions. , Producer
- Other format:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|