The women In white [electronic resource] / directed and produced by Gry Winther.
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- Oslo, Norway : Nordic World, 2009.
- VAST: academic video online
1 online resource (46 min.).
- Human rights -- Cuba.
- Documentary films.
- This edition in Spanish, subtitles in English.
- In 2009, Fidel Castro's Cuban revolution celebrates its 50th anniversary. Since Castro came to power in 1959, he has lead his country with an iron fist, developing an infamous system of informants and secret police to quiet the voices critical of his oppressive regime. In March 2003, Castro ordered the biggest crackdown in recent history. While the world's attention was on the US invasion of Iraq, Castro arrested 75 men -- journalists, writers and human rights activists considered to be the last Cuban opposition -- during three nights now known as 'Black Spring'. Two weeks after the arrests, in April 2003, the men's wives, mothers, daughters and sisters gathered to pray for their loved ones, and there 'Las Damas De Blanco' -- or 'The Women In White' was formed. Every Sunday since then, the women have dressed in white and silently walked the streets of Havana.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Dec. 16, 2013).
- Winther, Gry. , Producer, Director
Garcia, Andy. , Narrator
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|