Around the world in 80 faiths. Rituals. Australasia and the Pacific ring of fire [electronic resource] / presented by Peter Owen Jones.
- Other Title:
- Australasia and the Pacific ring of fire
Academic Video Online.
- London, England : British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), 2009.
1 online resource (52 min.)
- Rites and ceremonies -- Pacific Area.
Ritual -- Pacific Area.
- Documentary television programs.
- In English.
- To find out how tribal faiths have survived into the 21st Century, Pete witnesses a stabbing ritual in Sulawesi, baby smoking in Alice Springs and fertility festivals in the Philippines. Pete Owen Jones travels to Australasia to find out how tribal faiths have survived into the 21st Century. He goes into the Australian outback, in search of the meaning of Aboriginal dreaming; to Indonesia, to attend the elaborate funeral of a woman who died 20 years ago; to Sydney, to witness the survival of ancient persecuted faiths like the Iraqi Mandeans and Witchcraft; and to the remote volcanic islands of Vanuatu, in the Pacific Ring of Fire, to unravel the mystery of the cargo cult. He also witnesses the culmination of the nine-day Pulilan Carabao festival and a fertility festival that is thriving in the Philippines, in spite of attempts to ban it.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Nov. 11, 2014).
- Salt, Siân. , Director, Producer
Jones, Peter Owen. , Speaker
Alexander Street Press.
British Broadcasting Corporation. , Production company
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|