And the moon dances [electronic resource] / directed by Garin Nugroho.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- Indonesia : Set Film Workshop, 1995.
- Asian film online
1 online resource (123 min.).
- Motion pictures, Indonesian.
- Feature films.
- This edition in Indonesian with English subtitles.
- Literally translated, the title means 'The Moon Pierced by Wild Grass,' and the film tells the story of the relationship between an aged traditional song teacher named Waluyo, his folk music disciple Ilalang (who has to cope with memories of his abusive father) and the lovely dancer Bulan, who Ilalang has loved for a long time. The feature is set in Solo, where the vestiges of feudal Javanese culture can still be found, and gamelan music is heard throughout. It is an intensely emotional meditation upon the relationship between the generations and the role of music in the search for recovery from a traumatic past and for identity in an uncertain present. Director Garin Nugroho, who has described himself as 'a Javanese living amidst multiculturalism,' and who celebrates Indonesian cultural diversity in such films as A Poet, here explores Javanese culture. He sees this film as 'encompassing at the same time refinement and cruelty, softness and tyranny, and a beauty based on feudalism.' Awards/Festivals: Best Director Award, Nantes International Film Festival. Special Jury Prize at the Nantes Three Continent Film Festival.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Feb. 6, 2014).
Recorded in Indonesia.
Won 1996 Berlin International Film Festival FIPRESCI Prize, Forum of New Cinema Award; Nominated 1995 Tokyo International Film Festival, Tokyo Grand Prix Award
Nominated 1995 Tokyo International Film Festival, Tokyo Grand Prix Award
Won 1996 Berlin International Film Festival FIPRESCI Prize, Forum of New Cinema Award
- Riyanto, Garin Nugroho. , Director
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|