A girl From Hunan [electronic resource] / directed by U Lan and Fei Xie.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Married to a child
Academic Video Online.
- Honolulu, HI : Asia Pacific Films, 1986.
- Asian film online
1 online resource (94 min.).
- Feature films.
Foreign films -- China.
Women -- Drama.
Motion pictures -- China.
Manners and customs -- Drama.
Marriage -- China -- Drama.
China -- Drama.
- Feature films.
- This edition in Mandarin.
- In 1900 a twelve-year-old girl, Xiaoxiao, comes to a mountain village to discover that her uncle has arranged a marriage with a boy who is still breast-fed at two. Strict clan rules govern all behaviors, and she becomes her husband's nanny (he must call her sister until he is old enough to marry her). In one scene, the villagers are discussing a group of schoolgirls who are allowed to marry whomever they want, and who enjoy reading and a degree of freedom that Xiaoxiao longs for. Huagou, a local peasant, takes notice of Xiaoxiao, now sixteen and taking good care of six-year-old Chunguan, and a love affair begins with terrifying consequences. She knows the feudal values her community clings to, and watches them strip and drown a young widow who has been unfaithful to her husband. That woman's lover lives, albeit with broken legs. And what will happen to her?
- Title from resource description page (viewed Feb. 6, 2014).
Recorded in Hunan.
Nominated 1987 Golden Rooster Award, Best Actress
Won 1987 Golden Phoenix Award, Female Actor in a Motion Picture
Won 1988 San Sebastián International Film Festival, Don Quixote Award
- Lan, U. , Director
Xie, Fei, 1942- , Director
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|