The Godfrey shawl [electronic resource] / produced and directed by John Hughes.
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory : National Film and Sound Archive of Australia, 2006.
- Hidden treasures : inside the National Gallery of Australia
1 online resource (6 min.).
- Textile fabrics -- India.
- Documentary films.
- In English.
- Among the National Gallery of Australia's rarely seen treasures is an astonishing embroidered shawl from Kashmir in India - one of the finest and rarest of its kind. Made in the 19th century from the superfine 'cashmere' wool of the Himalayan mountain goat, it is actually a detailed map of Shrinigar, the former summer retreat of the Mogul emperors, showing its rivers, lakes, gardens and buildings. It's just one of a number of beautiful Indian works preserved in the gallery's textile collection. Maharana Jawan Singh Hunting was painted on cotton soon after the British took control of the great Rajput state of Mewar in 1818, attempts to recapture the golden days of the Rajput emperors. The painting has been arranged in the form of a mandala, with the emperor's tent at the centre, symbolising political power, and the Hindu temple on the right, symbolising religious power. Its rolling perspective, which suggests the rotation of the universe and all things within it, is shared by the great landscape paintings of contemporary Australian artist William Robinson. Although Robinson's Creation Landscape series comes from a very different time and place - not the jungles of Mewar but the rainforests of southeast Queensland, he also takes us on a spiralling sweep through time and space. From 19th century Rajasthan to 21st century Australia, there is a shared wonder at the universe in perpetual motion and a similar reverence for the splendour of creation.
- Title from resource description page (viewed November 20, 2014).
- Hughes, John. , Director, Producer
Churcher, Betty, 1931- , Narrator
Alexander Street Press.
Film Australia (Organization) , Production company
National Film and Sound Archive (Australia) , Distributor
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|