The great ceremony to straighten the world [electronic resource] / written, directed & produced by Jann Pasler.
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- Berkeley, CA : Berkeley Media, 1994.
1 online resource (56 minutes)
- Rites and ceremonies -- Indonesia -- Bali Island.
Balinese (Indonesian people) -- Rites and ceremonies.
Balinese (Indonesian people) -- Music.
Dance -- Indonesia -- Bali Island -- Religious aspects.
Music -- Indonesia -- Bali Island.
Bali (Indonesia) -- Religion and culture.
Bali (Indonesia) -- Social life and customs.
- Documentary films.
- In English and Balinese.
- System Details:
- data file
- Caught between the seduction of prosperity and the threat of cultural disintegration, the people of Bali engage in ceremonies. Through them, the Balinese attempt to maintain balance with God, nature, and one another, and also to turn the recent prosperity from the booming tourist trade into a way of invigorating their culture.This insightful documentary depicts one of Bali's most important ceremonies, one not enacted for nearly 100 years. The ceremony addresses a modern world gone seriously out of balance; it is also meant to remind the Balinese of their history and to engage them in its re-enactment.The video captures highlights of the ceremony while Balinese of varying backgrounds comment on its religious, environmental, cultural, and political meaning. The video will stimulate discussion and analysis in courses in cultural anthropology, religion, Asian and Balinese studies, and ethnomusicology. It was produced by Jann Pasler, Prof. of Music, University of California, San Diego.
- Title from resource description page (viewed July 07, 2016).
- Pasler, Jann, film director, screenwriter, film producer, narrator, cinematographer.
Rai, I Wayan, 1955- consultant, interviewee.
Mantra, Ida Bagus, interviewee.
Pageh, I Wayan, interviewee.
Sudharta, Tjokorda Rai, interviewee.
Alexander Street Press.
- Other format:
- Original version:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|