The story of the Jews. Episode 2, Among believers [electronic resource] / written & presented by Simon Schama ; series producer, Tim Kirby ; an Oxford Film and Television production for BBC and Thirteen in association with WNET ; producer and director, Tim Kirby ; producer, Charlotte Sacher.
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- Arlington, VA : Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), 2014.
1 online resource (56 minutes)
- Jews -- History.
- Documentary television programs.
- In English.
- System Details:
- data file
- Simon Schama's epic series continues with the story of medieval Jews struggling to preserve their identity - and sometimes their lives - under the rule of Christianity and Islam. Whether labeled 'Christ-killers' by the Christians or 'dhimmi' (non-Muslim citizens of an Islamic community) by the Muslims, diaspora Jews built new lives and invented new ways of being Jewish in exile in the face of discrimination, blood-libels and persecution interspersed with periods of tolerance, protection and peaceful co-existence. Drawing on some of the extraordinary documents they left behind, this episode offers a vivid portrait of Jewish bankers, merchants, doctors, poets and artists flourishing in Lincoln, Cordoba, Venice and Cairo and tells the heart-rending story of their mass expulsion from Spain in 1492.
- Title from resource description page (viewed June 24, 2016).
- Schama, Simon, host.
Kirby, Tim, producer, director.
Sacher, Charlotte, producer.
Alexander Street Press.
Oxford Film and Television, production company.
- Other format:
- Original version:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|