The complete book of 2000s Broadway musicals / Dan Dietz.
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
xv, 497 pages ; 29 cm
- Musicals -- New York (State) -- New York -- 21st century -- History and criticism.
New York (State) -- New York.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "In the first decade of the twenty-first century, Broadway was notable for old-fashioned, feel-good shows (Hairspray, Jersey Boys), a number of family-friendly musicals (Little Women, Mary Poppins), plenty of revivals (Follies, Oklahoma!, Wonderful Town), a couple of off-the-wall hits (Avenue Q, Urinetown), several gargantuan flops (Dance of the Vampires, Lestat), and a few serious productions that garnered critical acclaim (The Light in the Piazza, Next to Normal). Unlike earlier decades which were dominated by specific composers, by a new form of musical theatre, or by numerous British imports, the decade is perhaps most notable for the rise of shows which poked fun at the musical comedy form, such as The Producers and Spamalot. In The Complete Book of 2000s Broadway Musicals, Dan Dietz examines in detail every musical that opened on Broadway from 2000 through the end of 2009. This book discusses the era's major successes, notorious failures, and musicals that closed during their pre-Broadway tryouts. In addition to including every hit and flop that debuted during the decade, this book highlights revivals and personal-appearance revues with such performers as Patti LuPone, Chita Rivera, and Martin Short. Each entry contains the following information: Plot summary, cast members, names of all important personnel, including writers, composers, directors, choreographers, producers, and musical directors, opening and closing dates, number of performances, critical commentary, musical numbers and the performers who introduced the songs, production data, including information about tryouts, source material, Tony awards and nominations, [and] details about London and other foreign productions. Besides separate entries for each production, the book offers numerous appendixes, including a discography, filmography, and published scripts, as well as lists of black-themed shows and Jewish-themed productions. This comprehensive book contains a wealth of information and provides a comprehensive view of each show. The Complete Book of 2000s Broadway Musicals will be of use to scholars, historians, and casual fans of one of the greatest decades in musical theatre history." -- Publisher's description
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Dietz, Dan, 1945- Complete book of 2000s Broadway musicals.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|