Classifying psychopathology : mental kinds and natural kinds / edited by Harold Kincaid and Jacqueline Sullivan.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : The MIT Press, 
- Philosophical psychopathology.
viii, 286 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Mental illness -- Classification.
- Medical subjects:
- Mental Disorders -- etiology.
Mental Disorders -- classification.
Psychopathology -- classification.
- In this book, leading philosophers of psychiatry examine psychiatric classification systems, including the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), asking whether current systems are sufficient for effective diagnosis, treatment, and research. Doing so, they take up the question of whether mental disorders are natural kinds, grounded in something in the outside world. Psychiatric categories based on natural kinds should group phenomena in such a way that they are subject to the same type of causal explanations and respond similarly to the same type of causal interventions. When these categories do not evince such groupings, there is reason to revise existing classifications. The contributors question current psychiatric classifications systems and the assumptions on which they are based. They differ as to why and to what extent the categories are inadequate and how to address the problem. Topics discussed include taxometric methods for identifying natural kinds, the error and bias inherent in DSM categories, and the complexities involved in classifying such specific mental disorders as oppositional defiance disorder and pathological gambling.
- Classifying psychopathology : mental kinds and natural kinds / Harold Kincaid and Jacqueline Sullivan
Natural kinds in psychiatry : conceptually implausible, empirically questionable, and stigmatizing / Nick Haslam
Deeply rooted sources of error and bias in psychiatric classification / Jeffrey Poland
Psychopharmacology and natural kinds : a conceptual framework / Dan J. Stein
Beyond natural kinds : toward a "relevant" "scientific" taxonomy in psychiatry / Peter Zachar
Natural kinds in folk psychology and in psychiatry / Dominic Murphy
Being a mental disorder / George Graham
Defensible natural kinds in the study of psychopathology / Harold Kincaid
Oppositional defiant disorder : cultural factors that influence interpretations of defiant behavior and their social and scientific consequences / Nancy Nyquist Potter
Syndrome stabilization in psychiatry : pathological gambling as a case study / Don Ross
The social functions of natural kinds : the case of major depression / Allan Horwitz
The missing self in Hacking's looping effects / Şerife Tekin
Stabilizing mental disorders : prospects and problems / Jacqueline Sullivan.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Kincaid, Harold, 1952- editor.
Sullivan, Jacqueline A., editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Classifying psychopathology.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|