The other Judaisms of late antiquity / Alan F. Segal.
- Second edition.
- Waco, Texas : Baylor University Press, 2017.
- Library of early Christology
Library of early Christology series
xiv, 293 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Judaism -- History -- Post-exilic period, 586 B.C.-210 A.D.
Judaism -- History -- Talmudic period, 10-425.
Judaism -- Doctrines.
Judaism -- Post-exilic period (Judaism)
Judaism -- Talmudic period.
- In The Other Judaisms of Late Antiquity the late Alan F. Segal is at his very best. This reissued and expanded edition--now containing his celebrated "Heavenly Ascent in Hellenistic Judaism, Early Christianity, and Their Environment"--delineates the variegated nature of both Judaism and Christianity in their formative periods. As Segal demonstrates, it is more accurate to speak of Judaisms and Christianities. Through his deft deployment of social-scientific methods and due attention to Jewish primary sources from the Second Temple period, Segal is able to trace the intricate, internecine struggles among Jewish, Christian, and gnostic communities in the earliest days of the Common Era. In doing so, Segal masterfully validates the importance of inductive historical reconstruction and analytical comparative study for illuminating the complex religious world of the first three centuries. - back cover
- Dualism in Judaism, Christianity, and Gnosticism: a definitive issue
The ruler of this world
Hellenistic magic: some questions of definition
The sacrifice of Isaac in early Judaism and Christianity
Torah and Nomos in recent scholarly discussion
Covenant in Rabbinic writings
Romans 7 and Jewish dietary laws
Theoretical considerations: the cultural background of ascension in the Hellenistic world
Ascension in Hellenistic Judaism
Ascension and martyrdom: ascension in early Christianity
Some aspects of late Hellenistic ascension: Gnosticism.
- Reprint. Originally published in 1987 by Scholars Press.
"Now includes 'Heavenly ascent in Hellenistic Judaism, early Christianity, and their environment'."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 253-278) and indexes.
- Segal, Alan F., 1945-2011. Heavenly ascent in Hellenistic Judaism, early Christianity, and their environment.
- 9781481307598 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1481307592 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|