Career diplomacy : life and work in the US Foreign Service / Harry W. Kopp, John K. Naland.
- Third edition.
- Washington, DC : Georgetown University Press, 
xi, 285 pages ; 23 cm
- United States. Foreign Service.
Diplomatic and consular service, American.
United States -- Foreign relations administration.
International relations -- Administration.
- Ronald Neumann, former US ambassador and president of the American Academy of Diplomacy, called the second edition of Career Diplomacy a "must-read for those seeking understanding of today's foreign service." In this third edition Kopp and Naland, both of whom had distinguished careers in the field, provide an authoritative and candid account of the foreign service, exploring the five career tracks--consular, political, economic, management, and public diplomacy--through their own experience and through interviews with over one hundred current and former foreign service officials. The book includes significant revisions and updates from the previous edition, such as: Obama administration's use of the foreign service; a thorough discussion of the relationship of the foreign service and the Department of State to other agencies, and to the combatant commands; an expanded analysis of hiring procedures; commentary on challenging management issues in the Department of State, including the proliferation of political appointments, the rapid growth in the number of high-level positions, and the difficulties of running an agency with employees in two personnel systems (civil service and foreign service); and a fresh examination of the changing nature and demographics of the foreign service. Includes a glossary, bibliography, and list of websites and blogs on the subject.
- The institution
What is the Foreign Service?
The Foreign Service at the Department of State
Other agencies : USAID, Commerce, Agriculture
Form and content
Duty and danger
Politics and professionalism
The future Foreign Service
Appendix A. State Department organizational chart
Appendix B. Interviews
Appendix C. Online resources.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Naland, John K., author.
- Other format:
- Online version: Kopp, Harry. Career diplomacy.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|