Jihad and its interpretations in pre-colonial Morocco : state-society relations during the French conquest of Algeria / Amira K. Bennison.
- London ; New York : RoutledgeCurzon, 2002.
1 online resource (217 p.)
- Islam and state.
Islam and politics -- Morocco -- History.
Islam and politics -- Algeria -- History.
- Electronic books.
- This book investigates the importance of waging jihad for legitimacy in pre-colonial Morocco. It counters colonial interpretations of the pre-colonial Moroccan sultanate as hopelessly divided into territories of 'obedience' and 'dissidence' by suggesting that state-society warfare was one aspect of a constant process of political negotiation. Detailed analysis of state and society interpretations of jihad during the critical period of the French conquest of Algeria clearly shows this process at play and its steady evolution in the context of increasing European pressure, which culminated in th
- Cover; JIHAD AND ITS INTERPRETATIONS IN PRE-COLONIAL MOROCCO; Title Page; Copyright Page; Table of Contents; Acknowledgements; List of abbreviations; Note on transliteration; 1 Introduction; 2 The evolution of the sharifian jihad state of Morocco; Historical antecedents; Sharifism and jihad in the early cAlawī sultanate; The sharifian jihad state on the eve of colonialism; 3 French colonialism and sharifian jihad in Algeria, 1830-2; The French conquest of Algiers; The cAlawī occupation of Tlemsen; The revolt of the Udāyā; 4 An ambivalent alliance: Morocco and cAbd al-Qādir's jihad, 1832-9
Muhỵī al-Dīn, cAbd al-Qādir and the Qādirī bid for powerThe Qādirī-cAlawī alliance; 5 The cAlawī jihad during the French war to conquer Algeria, 1839-45; The first mobilisations; The collapse of consensus and the rise of 'fasād'; The Franco-cAlawī war of 1844; Peace with the infidel and jihad against 'fasād'; 6 The cAlawī jihad against cAbd al-Qādir, 1845-7; The cAlawī 'nizām-i cedīd'; The sultan's 'siyāsa'; The sultan's 'jihad of the tongue' against cAbd al-Qādir; The Makhzan's jihad of the sword against cAbd al-Qādir; 7 Islamic statehood and jihad in nineteenth century Morocco
Glossary of foreign termsNotes; Selected bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 190-198) and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203220573 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|