Ethnic cleansing in the Balkans [electronic resource] : nationalism and the destruction of tradition / Cathie Carmichael.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2002.
- Routledge Advances in European Politics
Routledge Advances in European Politics
1 online resource (188 p.)
- Nationalism -- Balkan Peninsula -- History.
Ethnic relations -- Religious aspects.
Balkan Peninsula -- Ethnic relations -- History.
- Electronic books.
- Ethnic Cleansing in the Balkans looks at the phenomenon of ethnic cleansing in the Balkans over the last two hundred years. It argues that the events that occurred during this time can be demystified, that the South East of Europe was not destined to become violent and that constructions of the Balkans as endemically violent misses a important political point and historical point.Carmichael provides an account of ethnic cleansing in the Balkans as a single historical phenomenon and brings together a vast array of primary and secondary sources to produce a concise and accessible ar
- Cover; Ethnic Cleansing in the Balkans: Nationalism and the Destruction of Tradition; Copyright; Contents; List of Plates; Acknowledgements; 1. Nationalism, Violence and the Destruction of Tradition; 2. Mountain Wreaths: Anti-Islam in Balkan Slavonic Discourses; 3. Bandits and Paramilitaries; 4. Fascism and Communism; 5. The Death of the Hero Cult; 6. The Destruction of Community; 7. Ethno-Psychology; 8. Conclusion; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -167) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|