Just living together [electronic resource] : implications of cohabitation on families, children, and social policy / edited by Alan Booth, Ann C. Crouter.
- Mahwah, NJ : L. Erlbaum Associates, c2002.
- Penn State University Family Issues Symposia Series
Penn State University Family Issues Symposia Series
1 online resource (282 p.)
- Unmarried couples -- Congresses.
Families -- Congresses.
Family policy -- Congresses.
Child development -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- Based on the presentations and discussions from a national symposia, Just Living Together represents one of the first systematic efforts to focus on cohabitation. The book is divided into four parts, each dealing with a different aspect of cohabitation. Part I addresses the big picture question, ""What are the historical and cross cultural foundations of cohabitation?"" Part II focuses specifically on North America and asks, ""What is the role of cohabitation in contemporary North American family structure?"" Part III turns the focus to the question, ""What is the long- and short-term i
- Contents; Preface; Acknowledgments; 1 Cohabitation in Western Europe: Trends, Issues, and Implications; 2 Contemporary Cohabitation: Food for Thought; 3 (Re)Envisioning Cohabitation: A Commentary on Race, History, and Culture; 4 Cohabitation in Contemporary North America; 5 What Are the Choices for Low-Income Families?: Cohabitation, Marriage, and Remaining Single; 6 What Mothers Teach, What Daughters Learn: Gender Mistrust and Self-Sufficiency Among Low-Income Women; 7 The Impact of Cohabitation on the Family Life Course in Contemporary North America: Insights From Across the Border
8 The Implications of Cohabitation for Children's Well-Being9 Cohabitation and Child Development; 10 Of Fathers and Pheromones: Implications of Cohabitation for Daughters' Pubertal Timing; 11 Child Well-Being in Cohabiting Families; 12 Safety Net Programs, Marriage, and Cohabitation; 13 Federal Social Policy, Cohabitation, and Marriage; 14 The Complexity of Tax and Transfer Program Rules Regarding Cohabitation: Challenges and Implications; 15 The Economic Rights and Responsibilities of Unmarried Cohabitants
16 What Does It Mean to Be "Just Living Together" in the New Millennium? An OverviewAuthor Index; Subject Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Booth, Alan, 1935-
Crouter, Ann C.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|