Balinese discourses on music and modernization [electronic resource] : village voices and urban views / Brita Renee Heimarck.
- New York : Routledge, 2003.
- Current research in ethnomusicology ; v. 5
1 online resource (395 p.)
- Sekola Tiuggi Seni Indonesia.
Music -- Indonesia -- Bali (Province) -- History and criticism.
Musicians -- Indonesia -- Bali (Province) -- Interviews.
- Electronic books.
- While many Western scholars have discussed the technical aspects of Balinese music or the traditional contexts for performance, little has been written in Western languages about Balinese discourses on their music. This dissertation seeks to understand the experience of music in Bali according to Balinese voices through an analysis of oral and written dialogues on music, mainly by musicians and dalangs (shadow play puppeteers) from the village of Sukawati, scholars, teachers, administrators and students from the Indonesian College of the Arts (STSI) in the City of Denpasar. The study examines
- Cover ; BALINESE DISCOURSES ON MUSIC AND MODERNIZATION VILLAGE VOICES AND URBAN VIEWS ; Copyright ; Contents ; List of Figures ; List of Tables ; List of Plates ; Preface; Acknowledgments; Introduction ; PART ONE Musical Discourses from Sukawati: The Transition from Traditional to Modern
CHAPTER ONE Historical Accounts of the Shadow Play Tradition in Banjar Babakan, Sukawati CHAPTER TWO Bapak I Wayan Loceng: Proverbs, Metaphors, and Musical Techniques ; CHAPTER THREE Interviews with the Young Generation of Shadow Play Performers in Banjar Babakan, Sukawati
PART TWO Musical Discourses in the Context of STSI, the Indonesian College for the Arts in Denpasar, Bali: STSI as a Mirror of Modernization Based on Continuity and Change CHAPTER FOUR The Practices and Principles of STSI: Preservation and Development of Balinese Arts
CHAPTER FIVE STSI and Scholarship: Balinese Written Discourses on Music and the Shadow Play CHAPTER SIX The Political Role of STSI: Indonesian Cultural Diplomacy and Cultural Policy ; Conclusion
APPENDIX 1: Original Indonesian Text of Interviews, Accounts, Dialogues, and Conversations with Scholars and Performers from Sukawati APPENDIX 2: KEY TO THE NOTATION AND MUSICAL TRANSCRIPTION OF ""SULENDRA""
APPENDIX 3: Original Indonesian Text of Interviews, Accounts, Dialogues, and Conversations with Faculty and Students at STSI as well as Brief Citations of Balinese Written Discourses
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 343-361) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|