Britain and empire, 1880-1945 / Dane Kennedy.
- London, England ; New York : Routledge,  , ©
- Seminar studies in history.
1 online resource (291 p.)
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- History.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 20th century.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 19th century.
- Electronic books.
- Britain and Empire, 1880-1945 traces the relationship between Britain and its empire during a period when the two spheres intersected with one another to an unprecedented degree. The story starts with the imperial expansion of the late nineteenth century and ends with the Second World War, at the end of which Britain was on the brink of decolonisation.The author shows how empire came to figure into almost every important development that marked Britain¿s response to the upheavals of the late nineteenth century and first half of the twentieth century. He examines its influence on foreign policy
- Cover; Half Title; Title Page; Copyright Page; Dedication; Table of Contents; Introduction to the Series; Acknowledgement; Chronology; Maps; Part One: Introduction; 1. Background And Context; Part Two: Analysis; 2. Imperial Expansion And National Foreboding, 1880-1900; The Politics of Imperialism; The Scramble for Colonies; The Imperial System; Popular Imperialism; Fin-de-Siècle Anxieties; 3. Making The Nation Imperial, 1900-14; The South African War and Its Aftermath; The Social Imperial State; Empire and National Identity; Contention and Consensus over Empire
4. World War And Social Imperialism, 1914-22The Assets and Debits of Empire; The Triumph of Social Imperialism; War Imperialism; Crisis and Recovery; Deconstructing/Reconstructing Britain; 5. Concessions And Consolidation, 1923-37; An Empire for the Masses; Trusteeship and Development; Creating the Commonwealth; Economic Crisis and the Politics of Empire; 6. From Appeasement To Global War, 1937-45; The Logic of Appeasement; Resources and Commitments; The Empire in the Balance; Bringing the Empire Home; Part Three: Assessment; 7. Conclusions; Part Four: Documents; Glossary; Who's Who
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed August 7, 2014).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|