Navigating comprehensive school change : a guide for the perplexed / Thomas G. Chenoweth, Robert B. Everhart.
- New York, New York ; Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, 2013.
1 online resource (286 p.)
- School improvement programs -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Educational leadership -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Educational change -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Electronic books.
- This book, an accessible resource for busy practitioners, is a unique hybrid of two genres. As a ""tourist guide,"" it shows you how to prepare for the journey, what to pay attention to upon arrival, and how to deal with the unexpected. As a ""consumer report"", it helps you identify some of the best tools and sources about change, access useful information about the change process, and find information about the strengths and challenges of various strategies. Thorough and comprehensive, it offers essential information about how to form leadership teams, identify high stakes problems, build co
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright Page; About the Authors; Table of Contents; Figures and Tools; With Appreciation; Foreword; Acknowledgments; Preface; Purpose of this Book; Organization of the Book; References; 1 HOW ABOUT A SHORT COURSE ON NAVIGATION? ASSUMPTIONS AND KEY LESSONS ABOUT CHANGE; Chapter Highlights; The Story of South Central Middle School and Educational Change; Our Assumptions; Focus on Student Learning; Comprehensive Change; School Leadership; Democratic Environment; Reculturing; Key Factors in the Change Process; References
2 LAUNCHING THE SHIP: HOW DO WE PREPARE THIS THING TO FLOAT? PRE-INITIATION & INITIATIONChapter Highlights; Initiation at South Central School; Forming Your Leadership Team; Leadership Team Selection; The Role of the Leadership Team; Identifying a High-Stakes Problem; Buy-In Period: Deciding to Initiate Comprehensive School Change; Visiting Other Schools; State Showcases; Study Groups; Capacity Building: Managing the Content (the What) of School Change; Frameworks for Thinking About School Change; Lessons Learned About Change from Research
Guidelines for Selecting Comprehensive School Design ModelsCapacity Building: Managing the Process (the How) of Change; Group Process Skills; Meeting Management Skills; Problem-Solving Approach; Chapter Summary; Reculturing Map; References; 3 IS EVERYBODY ON BOARD? BUILDING COMMITMENT; Chapter Highlights; Building Commitment at South Central; Building Dissatisfaction; Who's Coming to School?; Redefining the At-Risk Problem; High-Stakes Problem; Portraits of Successful Schools and Teachers; Creating a School-Wide Vision; Focus on Teaching and Learning
Concentrate on State-Assessed Curricular AreasEstablishing Short-and Long-Term Student Learning Goals; Introducing an Enrichment Model of Teaching and Learning and Building on Strengths; Chapter Summary; Reculturing Map; References; 4 DID YOU SAY TO TURN PORT OR STARBOARD? IMPLEMENTATION; Chapter Highlights; Implementation at South Central School; Follow a Systematic Approach for Problem Solving; Adopt an Inquiry Approach to Implementation Problems; Develop Shared Leadership in the Implementation Process; Obtain the Resources to Support the Emerging Implementation Process
Develop Strategies to ""Jump-Start"" Implementation (Early Stage)Focus on Transitions from the Old to the New; Develop Strategies and Skills for Managing Implementation; Build Linkages to Those Who Can Help; Reculture by Aligning Practices with Beliefs (Mid Stage); Create Visible Symbols of a Changed Culture; Examine Data That Demonstrate Changes in Behavior; Establish and Monitor Implementation Timelines; Expect Setbacks; Monitor Progress and Maintain Momentum (Mature Stage); Maintain Commitment to the Vision; Move Beyond State Standards into an Authentic and Enriched Learning Environment
Accelerate the Evaluation and Assessment Process
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Everhart, Robert.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|