Western India in the nineteenth century : a study in the social history of Maharashtra / Ravinder Kumar.
- London : Routledge, 2004.
- Routledge library editions. Anthropology and ethnography
Routledge library editions. Anthropology and ethnography. South Asia ; III
1 online resource (361 p.)
- Social history -- 19th century.
Maharashtra (India) -- Social conditions.
Maharashtra (India) -- History.
- Electronic books.
- Hinduism flourished in the districts around Poona in Bombay to a far greater extent than in the rest of India, hence the problems facing the British administrators of Maharashtra were quite different from those confronting them in other parts of India. The solutions they proposed and the policies which emerged determined the social changes which took place in the Maharashtra in the nineteenth century.
This book analyses these changes by focussing on the rise of new social groups and the dissemination of new values and shows how these social groups and values interacted with the traditiona
- 9781136545573_Cover; Prelims; Chapter1; Chapter2; Chapter3; Chapter4; Chapter5; Chapter6; Chapter7; Chapter8; Chapter9; Chapter10; Bibliography; Index
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed December 6, 2013).
First published in 1968.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9781315017839 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|