Mass conservatism : the Conservatives and the public since the 1880s / editors Stuart Ball, Ian Holliday ; with a foreword by William Hague.
- London : Routledge, 2013.
- British politics and society.
Cass series. British politics and society, 1467-1441
1 online resource (265 p.)
- Conservatism -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Conservatism -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1837-1901.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
Conservative Party -- History -- 19th century.
Conservative Party -- History -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.
- The papers that comprise this volume reveal how people are intent on preserving not only their wealth but culture too. The individual contributions identify the key arguments used to coax voters, whose natural sympathies might gravitate to the left, to vote for the Conservative Party en masse.
- Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; List of Tables; Foreword; Series Editor's Preface; Acknowledgements; List of Abbreviations; 1 Mass Conservatism: An Introduction; 2 The Making of Scottish Unionism, 1886-1914; 3 Farmworkers and Local Conservatism in South-west Shropshire, 1916-23; 4 The Conservative Party and Mass Housing, 1918-39; 5 Speaking to Democracy: The Conservative Party and Mass Opinion from the 1920s to the 1950s; 6 Conservative Women and Voluntary Social Service, 1938-51; 7 Echoes in the Wilderness: British Popular Conservatism, 1945-51
8 Industrial Relations as 'Human Relations': Conservatism and Trade Unionism, 1945-649 Conservative Party Activists and Immigration Policy from the Late 1940s to the Mid-1970s; 10 The Role of the Conservative Political Centre, 1945-98; 11 The Community Affairs Department, 1975-79: A Personal Record; 12 Thatcherism and the British People; Notes on Contributors; Index
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed November 13, 2013).
First published in 2002 in Great Britain by Frank Cass Publishers--T.p. verso.
- Ball, Stuart, 1956-
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9781315039046 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|