Brill's companion to Aineias Tacticus [electronic resource] / edited by Maria Pretzler, Nick Barley.
Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Brill's companions in classical studies.
Brill's companions in classical studies
1 online resource (vi, 402 pages).
- Aeneas, Tacticus, active 4th century B.C. Peri tou pōs chrē poliorkoumenous antechein -- History and criticism.
Military art and science -- History -- To 500.
Siege warfare -- Early works to 1800.
Engines of war -- Early works to 1800.
Peri tou pōs chrē poliorkoumenous antechein (Aeneas, Tacticus).
- Electronic books.
- "Brill's Companion to Aineias Tacticus is a collection of articles on the significance of the earliest Greek handbook on military tactics. Aineias' (Aeneas) wrote his Poliorketika in the mid-fourth century BC, offering a unique perspective on contemporary Greek city-states, warfare and intellectual trends. We offer an introduction to Aineias and his work, and then discuss the work's historical and intellectual context, his qualities as a writer, and aspects of his work as a historical source for the Greek polis of the fourth century BC. Several chapters discuss Aineias' approach to warfare, specifically light infantry, mercenaries, naval operations, fortifications and technology. Finally, we include a lengthy study of the reception of ancient military treatises, specifically Aineias' Poliorketika, in the Byzantine period. Contributors are: Nick Barley, Marco Bettalli, Ben Gourley, Robin Lane Fox, Peter Liddel, Maria Pretzler, Philip Rance, Tracey Rihll, Jim Roy, Graham Shipley, Philip de Souza, José Vela Tejada, and David Whitehead."--Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on November 08, 2017).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Orville H. Bullitt Classics Fund.
Orville H. Bullitt Classics Fund.
Pretzler, Maria, editor.
Barley, Nick, Ph.D., editor.
- Other format:
- Print version: Brill's companion to Aineias Tacticus.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|