Disaster At The Colorado Charles W. Baley.
- Other records:
- Logan : Utah State University Press, 2002.
- Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2012
1 online resource (249 p.)
- Mohave Indians -- Wars.
Mohave Indians -- Arizona -- History -- 19th century.
Arizona -- History -- To 1912.
Southwest, New -- Description and travel.
Beale Road -- History.
Beale, Edward Fitzgerald, 1822-1893.
- Electronic books.
- Across north-central New Mexico and Arizona, along the line of Route 66, now Interstate 40, there first ran a little-known wagon trail called Beale's Wagon Road, after Edward F. Beale, who surveyed it for the War Department in 1857. This survey became famous for employing camels. Not so well known is the fate of the first emigrants who the next year attempted to follow its tracks. The government considered the 1857 exploration a success and the road it opened a promising alternative route to California but expected such things as military posts and developed water supplies to b
- Contents; Preface; 1 The Roster; 2 The Santa Fe Trail; 3 A New Road West; 4 Westward Ho!; 5 Little Water-Many Indians; 6 Battle at the Colorado; 7 The Long Road Back; 8 A Cold Miserable Winter; 9 California at Last; 10 The Legal Battle; 11 The Later Years; Appendix A; Appendix B; Appendix C; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 204-209) and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Access Restriction:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access star
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|