Creating ourselves : the self in art : works from the ISelf Collection / edited by Emily Butler with Candy Stobbs.
- London : Whitechapel Gallery, 2017. , ©2017
219 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 29 cm
- Identity (Psychology) in art -- Exhibitions.
Art, Modern -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
Identity (Psychology) in art.
Art and Design.
Art and Design.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- From Surrealist selfies to feminist self-portraiture, the ISelf Collection explores identity and the human condition through the central themes of birth, death, sexuality, love, pain and joy. Taking the display of the collection at Whitechapel Gallery as its springboard, this book looks generally at the question of the self in modern and contemporary art, and the ways in which artists are thinking about being and identity as an individual, in relation to others, to society and the wider world. Featuring works by a world-class roster of artists including Francis Alys, Fiona Banner, Lynda Benglis, Louise Bourgeois, Tracey Emin, Alex Katz, Sarah Lucas, Mike Nelson, Cindy Sherman, John Stezaker and Wolfgang Tillmans, this fully illustrated catalogue also includes essays by Glenn Adamson, Frances Borzello, Nicholas Cullinan and Amelia Jones, as well as a selection of quotes by influential writers and theorists as chosen by some of the artists included.000Exhibition: Whitechapel Gallery, London, United Kingdom (27.04.-20.08.2017).
- Machine generated contents note: ch. I Self-Portrait as the Billy Goat
Mirror Image? / Frances Borzello
ch. II The End of Love
Self Image / Nicholas Cullinan
ch. III The Upset Bucket
Waste Management / Glenn Adamson
ch. IV Bumped Bodies
The Body and Its Works, Haunted by Desire / Amelia Jones.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Butler, Emily, editor.
Stobbs, Candy, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|