The complete angler, or, Contemplative man's recreation : being a discourse on rivers, fish-ponds, fish and fishing in two parts / the first written by by Izaak Walton ; the second by Charles Cotton ; with the lives of the authors and notes, historical, supplementary, and explanatory, by Sir John Hawkins.
- Other records:
- Standardized Title:
- Compleat angler
- Other Title:
- Contemplative man's recreation
- [9th ed.].
- London : James Smith, 1822.
lx, 383,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Fishing -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Part 2 has special t.p. with imprint: The complete angler : being instructions how to angle for a trout or grayling in a clear stream. London, printed for J. Smith, 1822.
"Directions to the binder.": P. 383.
"A list of new and popular works published and sold by James Smith, 163, Strand, opposite the new church.": P. .
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Julia B. Leisenring Book Fund.
RBC copy purchased for the Penn LIbraries in 2017 from James Cummins Bookseller.
RBC copy has bookplate of William Simonds Higgs (1759-1829) on front pastedown; color-illustrated bookplate of Rob Cohen on verso of front free endpaper.
RBC copy has autograph ("John Albee") at head of title leaf.
RBC copy extra-illustrated with four plates: "Izaak Walton's House in Fleet Street" (opp. p. x), "Engraved from a Fac-Simile of Mrs.Walton's Tomb Stone" (opp. p. xi), "Engraved from a Fac-Simile taken at Winchester in the Month of August 1822 by T. Gosden" (opp. p. xxxviii) and "Tottenham Cross" (opp. p. 1).
RBC copy bound by Thomas Gosden in full black polished calf; left board tooled in blind (portrait of Isaak Walton above "The greeting") within gold-tooled border; right board tooled in blind (portrait of Charles Cotton above view of "Boat House") within gold-tooled border; gold-tooled spine panels; gold-tooled cover edges and turn-ins; marbled endpapers; all edges gilt; green silk marker.
RBC copy: binding rubbed with loss of detail on boards; binding partially detached from textblock.
- Penn Provenance:
- Higgs, William Simonds (bookplate) (RBC copy)
Cohen, Rob (bookplate) (RBC copy)
Albee, John (autograph) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Catalogue of the very choice and valuable library of the late William Simonds Higgs, 52
- Cotton, Charles, 1630-1687.
Hawkins, John, 1719-1789.
Julia B. Leisenring Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|