The handbook of attention [electronic resource] / edited by Jonathan M. Fawcett, Evan F. Risko, and Alan Kingstone.
- Other Title:
- MIT Press CogNet.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts ; London, England : The MIT Press, 
1 online resource (xii, 678 pages) : illustrations
- "Laboratory research on human attention has often been conducted under conditions that bear little resemblance to the complexity of our everyday lives. Although this research has yielded interesting discoveries, few scholars have truly connected these findings to natural experiences. This book bridges the gap between 'laboratory and life' by bringing together cutting-edge research using traditional methodologies with research that focuses on attention in everyday contexts. It offers definitive reviews by both established and rising research stars on foundational topics such as visual attention and cognitive control, underrepresented domains such as auditory and temporal attention, and emerging areas of investigation such as mind wandering and embodied attention. The contributors discuss a range of approaches and methodologies, including psychophysics, mental chronometry, stationary and mobile eye-tracking, and electrophysiological and functional brain imaging. Chapters on everyday attention consider such diverse activities as driving, shopping, reading, multitasking, and playing videogames. All chapters present their topics in the same overall format: historical context, current research, the possible integration of laboratory and real-world approaches, future directions, and key and outstanding issues"--MIT CogNet.
- Controlling spatial attention : lessons from the lab and implications for everyday life / Charles L. Folk
Visual search / Jeremy M. Wolfe
Temporal orienting of attention / Anna C. Nobre and Simone G. Heideman
What laboratory studies of symbolic spatial cues reveal about the control of attention in everyday life / Bradley S. Gibson and Pedro Sztybel
Auditory selective attention / Barbara Shinn-Cunningham and Virginia Best
Crossmodal attention : from the laboratory to the real world (and back again) / Charles Spence and Cristy Ho
Task-set control and task switching / Stephen Monsell
Using working memory to control attentional deployment to items in complex scenes / Geoffrey F. Woodman and Steven J. Luck
Change blindness and inattentional blindness / Daniel Levin and Lewis Baker
Mind wandering and attention / Jonathan Smallwood
Scene perception / Tom Foulsham
Eye movements and visual attention during reading / Mallorie Leinenger and Keith Rayner
Embodied attention / Rachard A. Abrams and Blaire J. Weidler
Action and attention / Jay Pratt, J. Eric T. Taylor, and Davood G. Gozli
Social attention / Daniel C. Richardson and Matthias S. Gobel
Attention to eyes in face perception / Roxane J. Itier.
Everyday visual attention / Benjamin W. Tatler and Michael F. Land
Attention and driving / David L. Strayer
Serial versus concurrent multitasking : from lab to life / Paul W. Burgess
Attention and incidental memory in everyday settings / Alan D. Castel, Meenely Nazarian, and Adam B. Blake
Eyewitness memory / Kerri L. Pickel
Attention and misdirection : how to use conjuring experience to study attentional processes / Gustav Kuhn and Robert Teszka
Action video games in the spotlight : the case of attentional control / Daphne Bavelier and Julia Föcker
Stress and attention / Peter A. Hancock and Gerald Matthews
Attention research in marketing : a review of eye-tracking studies / Michel Wedel
Exploring attention in the "reel" world : visual and auditory influences on reactions to wins and near misses in multiline slot machine play / Mike J. Dixon, Jeff Templeton, Karen Collins, Lisa Wojtowicz, Kevin A. Harrigan, Jonathan A. Fugelsang, and Vivian Siu
Attention in educational contexts : the role of the learning task in guiding attention / Andrew M. Olney, Evan F. Risko, Sidney K. D'Mello, and Arthur C. Graesser
Visual attention in sports / Daniel Memmert.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Fawcett, Jonathan M., editor.
Risko, Evan F., editor.
Kingstone, Alan, editor.
- Other format:
- Print version: Handbook of attention.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|